Home repairs are never simple. If they are for you, know this—I hate you.
So weeks ago, my daughter asked me to help her paint her room. She did a fairly good job of prepping but really, teenagers should be banned from using staples to hang up posters. Every few feet I found one or two. And then there were the glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. Plus a few nail holes that hadn’t gotten patched.
But I digress. It only took 3 gallons of burn your eyes out of your head white paint (with primer) to cover the chocolate brown walls in her room (Teenagers should also be banned from painting their room really, really dark colors). We finished in a week and she moved her tutus and other things back in.
Then came the question that sane people dread.
When are you going to install those shelves?
Wha? I don’t remember there being a mention about shelves. Shelves that I had to make several trips to HoDe’s for. Shelves that she had to paint with the paint and brushes we’d just cleaned and put away.
But like most parents, I gave in to the inevitable and hunted the drill, the drill bits (which apparently have been segregated to a separate part of the garage for unknown reasons), then the screws which lets face is are easy and lie about with anything and everything, and lastly the stud finder.
The jokes that hubby made and the stud-finder are older than me. So I wasn’t surprised that the battery was dead inside it. I was shocked to discover that the clamp thing on the 9-volt battery remained attached to the connector when I tried to remove said dead battery. I was down right irritated when i attached a new dead battery that did the same thing. Then I ran out of batteries.
Now, I don’t know what it is like in your house, but sometimes batteries can be removed from one device and temporarily relocated to another. I eyed the remote for the ceiling fan. It didn’t seem to care. But it too was old and you had to squeeze it with the force required to crack a particularly stubborn walnut to get it to turn on or off, or well do any of the buttons. So I took out the battery.
Surprise, surprise, this one came out intact.
So I inserted it into the stud finder and dutifully marked the locations of said pieces of wood. Drilling holes, I realized I had been deceived. There were no studs behind that plane of dry wall. Either the stud finder is too old or it was just cranky and decided to mess with me. either way, I went back to HoDe’s and bought some nifty, no studs required sinks and installed the shelves.
Then hubby went to replace the battery in the remote as he’d noticed that the ceiling fan was off. Ten minutes later he noticed the wire connecting the positive pole had broken off.
Now, a sane person might have just shelled out the $35 for a new fan remote. I was way past sane at this point. I went to Fry’s Electronics which is conveniently located right behind a home improvement store and bought not one but 5 9volt connectors for $1.49.
then I realized I didn’t have a soldering iron. A new one would cost 20 bucks, but one daughter’s boyfriend had one and was willing to loan it to me. knowing I had two engineers at my back, i set to work.
It had been over 8 years since I last soldered and apparently it isn’t like riding a bike. I’d forgotten to move the blasted thing around and forget about the stupid wick thing, that didn’t work at all.
Eventually, one engineer took pity on me and after an hour managed to melt the blob of old solder and slip the new leads in. One slightly used battery later and the remote now responds with a light tap on a button.
Moral of the story: Money or sanity—the choice is yours:D