I don’t know many authors who don’t mourn the loss of bookstores. It is one of the best ways we get to meet and interact with readers. Thankfully, writers are creative people and my friend came up with the Indie 800. It’s a crowdfunded attempt to build not just an amazing bookstore, but an arts center for all those who visit Phoenix.
So here are the benefits for becoming a charter member:
Benefits to Charter Members
- Charter Members will have a ‘home’ bookstore that welcomes them with open arms and treats them like a VIP.
- Members will be able to sell both their work and their promotional products ( i.e. tee shirts, hats, book bags, etc.) on consignment in DEP. Royalties for Charter Members will be paid at the rate of 75%. (The royalty for Non-charter Members remains at the industry standard of 60%.)
- Royalty checks will be mailed to Charter Members quarterly, Non-charter members will receive royalty payments annually.
- A member’s new releases will be featured in the front of the store for 30 days, and the member may hold a signing on the premises. The store will help to promote the signing event.
- Members may also take advantage of pre-orders (up to 90 days in advance) for new releases by providing a proof copy with completed cover art and a release date. (Preorders increase turnout at release parties because purchase has already been made.)
- A rotating percentage of a member’s work will be prominently displayed (face out) at all times. The store will provide out-of- stock cards for books/cds/prints, and staff will promptly notify members of the need to restock.
- Staff will be familiar enough with members’ work to be able to assist customers in making purchases.
- Shelf talkers will be added to promote members’ work, along with QR codes to enable customers wishing to easily purchase electronic versions of their work directly from our member’s
website or Amazon/iTunes page. (This is a huge benefit in a city like Phoenix which attracts tourists, since most travelers do not want to pack art or books when flying.)
- By coordinating with store management, members will be able to use the facilities for meetings, workshops, and events on a first-come basis.
- With member permission, the store may use a member’s book/art/album covers or likeness in advertising on television, radio, print, posters, and online.
- The store will staff a social media team to promote both the book store and our members’ brands.
- Staff will be made aware of all Charter Members’ VIP status and will become familiar with their works.
- Charter Members will receive a 20% discount on food/beverages and used books purchased in the store. (Non- Charter Members will receive a 10% discount.)
- Members will be invited to participate in multi-author signing events, both in-store and off-site. Charter Members will receive advanced notification of these events.
- Members will be represented by a Board of Directors made up of nine members to resolve any issues with store management.
- Charter Members will not be charged additional dues for any of the above privileges.
For more information visit: http://www.dogearedpagesusedbooks.com/?page=shop/disp&pid=page_indie800