We have had a chimney top damper sitting in a box in our living room for four months now. Yesterday, we decided to install it.
It should have been easy.
The directions made it look like it would be easy. A single sheet of paper broken into two sections—one for the rooftop and the other for inside the house.
We should have known better. Okay, maybe not. The cable that I dropped down the chimney went into the lining of the chimney and it took the hubbinator several tries with nearly every broom and tool on a stick to fish it out.
Then we had to figure out just the right length we need to close the damper on the top. Which wasn’t hard but I didn’t tighten the screws tight enough on the cable so the cable came loose and the damper popped open.
But it’s all done now.
And I must say, it is nice not to hear the chimney breathe when the wind kicks up.
Until next time. Stay healthy my friends.
Nothing about a chimney sounds easy to me. I imagine being on the roof and bricks coming apart.
One more chore off the list – Yay!