I don’t know about you but there are just so many hours of the day and not enough ambition to get to the home repair projects that build up. Add in the fact that my husband and I work opposite shifts and I’d rather spend time with hubby than wielding a hammer (Thankfully I don’t have the kind of marriage where I want to wield a hammer after spending time with hubby, although… oh wait, this is about the closet)
Several years ago (6 but who’s counting) we laid oak flooring in four bedrooms, associated closets, the hallway and the living room. We, um, declined doing the hall closet for obvious reasons–the bogeyman lives there. And so it sat with bald concrete floor and became a haven for the fur balls the dog and cats were trying to will into being for a period of time (6 years not that I’m counting).
Just as an aside, those are empty beer bottles that my husband uses to make his own beer, we’re not storing up for a apocalypse:-). So on the weekend before I began my vacation, I decided time was up. The closet floor had to be laid which meant I had to knock out the built-ins. I love my built-ins–they store so much junk and the cats get to crawl in the back and hide from the dog. They’re just wonderful, so I decided if at all possible I would reuse them. Fortunately, I hammer like a girl so I didn’t predict too much damage.
So after dinner I sorted through the years of linens and other things (I found my crystal candlestick holder that had been lost for 4 years–Yay me!) and placed the keepers in totes and stacked them in my diningroom then piled the rest in the garage (which the gremlins are beginning to fill with stuff again). Then with the power invested in me by my magic blue pry bar and a trusty hammer, I set about dismantling the shelves. Three hours later–Voila!
The holes in the wall are from fixing the central vacuum system that had been mysterious clogged by something I told someone not to suck up. But that’s in the past and I’ve let it go.
Hubby came home to a rather packed dining room and an empty closet. The next morning, whilst he slept off his 12 hour shift I laid the floor, patched the drywall and restored the baseboards. Hubby prepainted the shelving and closet walls then together we reassembled everything with an admirable assist from Liquid Nail (Maybe if I’m really good this year, Santa will bring me an air compressor and a nail gun). Anyway, aside from a few touch ups, the closet was finished in only six years and three days.
Perhaps next year we can break that record.