The Fabulous Sally Berneathy talks about her Irish Roots

Thanks Sally for joining me today. I hope everyone enjoys the post. Sally will be around all day and one person who leaves a comment will win a ecopy of one of Sally’s books.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Today, everybody is a little bit Irish, and the Irish are well known tellers of stories and spinners of yarns.

My grandfather, Hezekiah “Doc” Berneathy, was a red-headed, red-bearded Irishman who definitely had the gift of gab. He lived in Louisiana in the late 1800s when political rallies were a major form of entertainment. Granddad had no desire to be a politician, but he did love to have an audience for his stories. When a political rally was planned, Granddad often drove his flat-bed wagon pulled by a team of mules to the back of the rallying area. As the crowd began to gather, Granddad would stand on the wagon bed and begin telling stories and spinning yarns. When the political speaker arrived, he just had to wait until Granddad finished with the crowd.

I grew up in a family of story-tellers. At night when I went to bed, I got a bedtime story instead of a lullaby. That was a very good thing because everyone in my family had the singing voice of a donkey with bronchitis.

But they could tell stories! We lived next door to my aunt and uncle, and on summer evenings we’d sit outside under the stars while the adults tried to outdo each other with their stories. I just sat there and listened in delight.

Many of the stories were supposedly true, but with my family, you never knew for sure! One of my favorites, which my dad swore was true, involves our well-known love of dogs.

In 1898 when my dad was six years old, the family followed the lure of land to southeastern Oklahoma where Granddad rapidly established himself as the local dispenser of justice. He concluded marriage ceremonies with the admonition: “What God and Doc Berneathy has joined together, let no man put asunder.”

When my father was eleven years old one of the neighbor men shot and killed his dog. “I was too old to cry,” Daddy said, “old enough to get justice for my dog.” He took his .22 rifle, hid along a route he knew the neighbor would take, ambushed him and shot him.

The man lived…or, as Daddy put it, “Old coot was too mean to die.”

Shoulder bandaged, the old coot marched into town to complain to the self-appointed law. “Your son nearly killed me!”

Granddad stroked his red beard and considered the man for a few minutes, no doubt pondering the legalities of the situation…the legalities according to “Doc” Berneathy. Then he rendered his verdict. “You killed his dog. What did you expect? Just be glad my son wasn’t a better shot.”  Case closed.

The moral, Daddy said, “Do not mess with the Berneathy dogs.”

I feel very lucky that we have computers so I can write down my stories, so I can write stories that last for 300 pages. It would take a lot of starry evenings to tell a whole book!

I like to tell stories for the sheer delight of the story itself, but I’ve also found them to be therapeutic. In my books, I can fall in love with a hunky detective. I can solve a murder through brilliant deductive logic. I can kill my ex husband over and over and never have to go to prison! My books are total fiction. Even though I’ve killed off the evil ex-husband a number of times, the real one is still alive. For the moment.

Do you have a favorite family story? True, maybe true or totally fiction…please share!

For more on Sally visit her website at www.sallyberneathy.com

And here is some information about her books.

Undercover Secrets:

Television reporter, Allison Prescott, is covering the story of the latest murder among the homeless people living on the streets of Oklahoma City when she spots a derelict who looks anything but homeless. He’s too alert, too well-muscled…too sexy. Who is this man and why is he pretending to be one of the street people? Can he be the murderer? This may be the story she needs to save her job, get her a much-needed raise and give her the money she needs to fight her ex-husband for custody of their daughter. With the single-minded determination of a mother battling for her child, she sets out to discover the delectable hunk’s real identity. Then she finds herself attracted to him…to a homeless bum.

Brad Malone, undercover cop, is trying to blend with the homeless community and find a killer before somebody else dies. He’s been a cop for thirteen years. Dealing with murder is nothing new to him. However, when a nosy reporter begins following him everywhere, threatening to blow his cover and compromise his investigation, he finds himself in way over his head and his heart.

Death by Chocolate

Lindsay Powell’s only secret is the recipe for her chocolate chip cookies, but she is surrounded by neighbors with deadly secrets. Suddenly Lindsay’s life spirals downward into complete chaos and a near-deadly bout with the chocolate she loves. If not for the stray cat who bullied his way into her home, Lindsay would be dead.

Her best friend and co-worker, Paula, dyes her blond hair brown, hides from everybody and insists on always having an emergency exit from any room. Secrets from Paula’s past have come back to put lives in jeopardy.

Determined to help Paula and save her own life, Lindsay enlists the reluctant aid of another neighbor, Fred, an OCD computer nerd. In spite of his mundane existence, Fred possesses tidbits of knowledge about such things as hidden microphones, guns and the inside of maximum security prisons.

Battling Paula’s elusive stalker, poisoned chocolate, Lindsay’s irritating almost-ex, and a dead man, Lindsay needs more than a chocolate fix to survive.

About Linda Andrews

Linda Andrews lives with her husband and three children in Phoenix, Arizona. When she announced to her family that her paranormal romance was to be published, her sister pronounce: "What else would she write? She’s never been normal." All kidding aside, writing has become a surprising passion. So just how did a scientist start to write paranormal romances? What other option is there when you’re married to romantic man and live in a haunted house? If you’ve enjoyed her stories or want to share your own paranormal experience feel free to email the author at www.lindaandrews.net She’d love to hear from you.
This entry was posted in Books, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to The Fabulous Sally Berneathy talks about her Irish Roots

1. Joan Woods says:

I have never read a novel by Sally Berneathy before but am a great reader of romantic suspense novels and historicals.

2. Loved the story! I wish we could still have that kind of justice. Your covers are wonderful. Do you have dogs in any of your books?

3. Hi, Joan! Thanks for stopping by! You may have read me under other names…Sara Garrett, Sally Carleen or Sally Steward.

• Sharon Wiggins says:

Sally, now matter where you go, what you do, when you do it, it is always a good story behind
      or in front of the action. After all these years I never knew about Sara Garrett, now I will have
      to start looking for these books, are they just in print or can I get them on my Kendle

Your Death by Chocolate has change since you first wrote it, the first deraft you sent me many
      years ago. Are both of theses books available on Kendle? If not, I will hunt the books down
      you know I never miss any of your books, well, that was until I just discovered Sara! Your
      books are such a delight to read, there is always a good laugh to be found in your mystery’s
      keep up the good work. Glad to have you back writing!!!!!!

4. Janet Kannard says:

Sally, I am so happy to see you writing and enjoying yourself. I, too, have Irish ancestors (father’s parents) and have started to learn more about that side of my family. Hope you enjoy your day!!!
    I am busy with work and Zonta – I will be installed as District Governor in Torino (Turin), Italy this summer. Thanks for keeping me on your email list.

5. Eva Biediger says:

Hi Sally! I enjoy a strong Irish heritage, too. Hope you’re having a fantastic day! I’ve downloaded and am really enjoying “Death by Chocolate.” VERY FUNNY!! I can hear your voice in there!

6. Lyle says:

Death by Chocolate was a fun read!

7. Jane Squires says:

I have never read a story by Sally but would love to. I review books if she needs one reviewed.

8. Jane – contact me at berneathy@juno.com, and let’s talk about the reviews!

9. Linda – I do have dogs in a lot of my books. I don’t have a dog in either Death by Chocolate or Undercover Secrets, but I do have a large, bossy cat in Death by Chocolate! He is modeled after my real-life cat, Leo, who was a big brother and best friend to my small Yorkie, Cricket. The next romantic suspense I will be putting up in a couple of weeks, Secrets In the Shadows, features a dog who left me several years ago, a miniature daschund mix. Can you tell I continue the family tradition of adoring dogs? I once broke up with a guy because he didn’t like my dog. He seemed nice enough, but I knew he must be a very evil person if he didn’t like my dog.

10. Kathleen Hurley says:

I just loved Death by Chocolate!

11. derekd says:

I have read 4 of Sally’s books, and I can tell you, this lady can write! Whether it is her traditional romances, or her hilarious mysteries, Ms. Berneathy has definitely inherited her grandfather’s gift of story telling.

12. Terry says:

Sally Berneathy is an amazing author! I have every one of her books and look forward to many more coming out!!! Her stories are witty, fun, engaging and captivating! 🙂

13. sarannadewylde says:

Sally’s books are fantastic! She’s got a great voice and her heroines are real women that you’d definitely want on your side. 😉

14. My mother and I both loved Death by Chocolate!

15. Sally is a gifted writer and is one of the most genuinely kind people I’ve ever met. Sure and begorrah. 🙂

16. Timothy B. doolin says:

Wonderful bit of storytelling. I have read one of her books and found it to be a great read and quite captivating.

Note: The link to http://www.sallyberneathy.com does not seem to work correctly. It goes to https://idm.west.cox.net instead.

17. Peggy Maddox says:

Sally Berneathy is a personal friend of mine and, yes, she is fabulous! I have read several of her books, including ‘Death by Chocolate’ and have found her to be a great storyteller. Her books are full of colorful characters and she has just the right touch of humor in her storytelling. Read her–you will not be disappointed. Can’t wait to read ‘Undercover Secrets’!

18. M.H. Bock says:

I loved the stories about your family. Death by Chocolate is one of my favorite books. You are a wonderful writer.

19. Keona says:

Hi Sally! I think you’re such a fantastic writer, it’s great seeing you in the social network and on blogs! ❤

20. Julia Scott Gibson says:

I own and have read every single one of Sally’s books, and will never part with them. And I can never thank her enough for her generous support of my “Racing for Home Greyhounds” projects! Thank you Sally, for loving and for entertaining us all! I am honoured to know you!

21. Diane Kratz says:

Sally
    I don’t have Irish ancestor’s but always wished I did. Would love to read your book. Loved the story about the family dog! Family loyalty and bonds make a great story and a colorful childhood.

22. lisbeth sizelove says:

I have all of Sally books and they are all fun books to read. I look forward to more books in the future.

23. claudenougat says:

I have never read one of Sally’s novels but after this wonderful bit of story telling I’m putting her on my to-read list! And thanks Linda for sharing with us…and congrats on your blog!

24. The biggest chunk of me is Irish, too–about 1/3. Your grandfather sounds like a hoot! I’m really looking forward to reading Undercover Secrets. I’ve enjoyed a great many of Sally’s books over the years. She’s a great writer.

25. Wonderful story. You have to love a man who defends a son and a dog like that. And I am glad your ex is still alive. Would hate to see you end up in jail, although I have heard prison stories are well received. LOL

26. GweninKC says:

Sally, you’ve definitely inherited your famly’s storytelling abilities. Love your stories and your books. Death by Chocolate is one of my all-time favorite reads!

27. suzanne says:

Death by Chocolate was funny- what a way togo.

28. Phyllis Floyd says:

Sally is awesome, in person and on paper. I am a readaholic as nd can’t wait to read more of her books. She’s also a great person to have on your side!!!

29. It makes me so happy you all came to see me and say nice things! I wish I could offer all of you a glass of Coke and one (or two) of my famous chocolate chip cookies! Thank you, everybody, for stopping by! Enjoy the rest of your St. Patrick’s Day…but don’t drink any green Coke!

• Karen Huckins says:

I have so enjoyed reading your books & am always looking forward to your next book. I especially treasure my autographed ones — they are super special ones 🙂 I’m thinking that I may get to stop by in June for a chocolate chip cookie and a coke!!

• Brenda says:

Good Job Sally, I will expect cookies when I see you next. I will also look for your books!

30. Lauren Royal says:

Loved hearing about your storytelling family, Sally! Thanks for sharing!

31. Steve and Mary Deardorff says:

Chocolate? Yum! Irish?

32. Thank you so much for having me, Linda! This has been a fun experience!

33. Mike Kozisek says:

Happy St. Pats from an old friend!

34. MargNavratil/Photographer/SF,NM says:

Dear SCB:
    Thank you so much for including me in your em. I loved the intro and “Grandad”, sounds so much like mine (in the same hometown). For the Gal that sat in front of me in Ms. Duncan’s class at EFS, I feel so honored to know you (when we were classmates) and as a friend. We go back so far. Roots my dear writer. Much success with sales. I’ve got to get on the stick and get those autographed.
    Marg Navratil—Santa Fe, NM

35. Mary Brewer says:

Sally was the first writer I ever walked up to in a bookstore and asked for an autograph for the two books of hers I bought. That was probably 15? years ago! She invited me to join her critique group, which I did. I wrote a book, still unpublished, but hopefully with re-writes I will join the published authors!
    In the meantime, I’ve ready probably every book Sally has written but the last one and I’ll have to get around to reading it also. She’s a great story teller and I hope she continues to write and publish more books! Congratulations, Sally on another job well done! mary

36. Hi Sally Diane from Canada here. I love your story about your grandfather. I, too, have an Irish ancestor , my grandmother. I understand that anyone with an Irish-born Grandparent can become a Irish citizen. I am hoping to do that.
    I cannot find your new book anywhere. I tried to find it on Amazon through my ipad but no luck.
    Sally I would love to review your books too I love readying your books and have all your Sally Steward books, Death by Chocolate and am waiting to read Undercover secrets. I laughed when I saw your Coke bottles – I remember how you talked about that in our sorority days. I am living in Alberta now and love being back on the prairies.
    Diane Mineault (Dills)

37. LINDA B says:

HI SALLY! I HOPE BEING 338 IS LUCKY FOR ME! I NEVER READ ANY OF YOUR BOOKS, BUT JUST FINISHED A SUSPENSE ONE AND ADDING YOU TO MY LIST. HAPPY ST. PAT’S DAY!!

38. suekey12 says:

My grandmother was Irish—and I still remember the twinkle in her eye when she would tell a good story. I finally got a kindle so I’d love to win one of the ebooks.
    suefarrell.farrell@gmail.com

39. I have read all of Sally’s books through the years, and they’re all superbly written. If you haven’t read her work before, you’re in for a treat! So glad to see you back in the writing life, Sally! And on social media!

40. LINDA B says:

I’D KILL MY DH TO READ IT SALLY!! LOL

41. Judy says:

How fun and what a cherished childhood. Stories. wonderful memorible stories. YOu have written them down for an anthology? Right? AS for my childhood memories I need to do that same thing. My mom riding down a hill on a rubber tire. I think of the Little Rascels. Or my great Grand daddy having a moonshine still that the Revenuers never found. Proud memories. Fun memories. Thanks for the moment to bring them back to life.

42. G. Aliceson says:

Linda-Like guest Sally’s stories, the ones from my own childhood are some of my favorites. Mine involve a cattle rustling uncle who ran for office while waiting for a verdict. Thanks for sharing this with us and I look forward to getting to know you better. Goldie

43. xyschmidt says:

Loved, loved, LOVED Death By Chocolate and plan on getting this one as well! Go Sally!

44. Rusty Hudelson says:

Sally is a high school classmate of mine and I can attest to the fact that she is the real deal. She is a great author and you will be well served to read anything she puts out there.

45. Barbara Monto says:

Sally (Carleen) Have not read your books but all your comments make me want to download your Death By Chocolate on my Kindle. I remember all the fudge your Mom made for us when we were kids. When you come home to McA, let me know & bring some of your books too. Barbara

46. LINDA B says:

CAN’T WAIT TO START IT!!

47. Betty H says:

I just found and read Death by Chocolate yesterday. It was a wonderful book and I loved it. I had such fun reading it I loved your humor. I hope there are more in the future.